In 1974 Larry Balma and his business partners would create the first ever modern sized skateboard truck, the world famous Tracker truck. Four decades later he’s celebrating a lifetime of professional and personal achievement with his book “Tracker - Forty Years of Skateboard History”.
Talking Points you’ll hear on Episode 227
- Larry Balma shares with us how he and his friends made their first skateboards.
- How working for the phone company and as a commercial fisherman taught Larry valuable lessons for his unknown future as a skateboarding business owner.
- The invention of the modern skateboard truck and how they convinced the industry to get behind the product.
- Keeping a company going through the hard times of your chosen industry.
- 40 years of advertising, creating a visual language for your brand.
- Publishing and working on a book for over 3 years.
The Circle of Trust (paid member content)
- Larry shares with us how in 1974 he and his partners scrapped up the capital to get into manufacturing.
- The decision to make Tracker’s focus mainly on skateboard trucks.
- How the industry breaking into smaller parts hurt the cost of goods.
- Self publishing and using Kickstarter as a promotional tool.