Pitchgrim aka Cody Melick went from working in the swamps of Florida to being the in house design illustration guy at Santa Cruz Skateboard. This is his story of being a husband, a new dad, working a dream job and still finding time for his own design pursuits under the name Pitchgrim.
Talking Points You’ll Hear on Episode 257
- Working in the alligator infested swamps of Florida to offset your starting out freelance design work.
- Taking the job of a legend, but someone had to take Jim Phillips job at Santa Cruz Skateboards.
- Inheriting classic imagery and finding new ways to interrupt the brand.
- The intimidation and pressure of working with popular intellectual properties like Star Wars or Marvel while still trying to keep it brand specific to Santa Cruz.
- The weekly workflow of being the in-house illustrator for a major skateboard company.
- How to keep to up with creative pace of a heavy workload.
- Being a husband, new dad and having a dream job, what kind of work makes Cody jump into more illustration hours.
- Quickly hating your work as soon as it’s finished.
Circle of Trust (Paid Member Content)
- Keeping your own brand alive while killing it at the dream day job.
- Getting better at your trade by keeping up with a high demand illustration job.
- Living under the moniker of your own brand or day job.
- Just enjoying your work getting out into the world without worrying about the credit or fame.
- Setting both personal work and day job goals