World famous urban vinyl toy designer Huck Gee talks with us about the rise and fall of collector toys, his highs and lows with Kidrobot and most importantly his last year of reinvention, as he sets out to change his career and some would say the world of collectable toys.
Talking Points You’ll Hear On Episode 237
- How Huck Gee stumbled into the world of designer toy collecting and found a little website called Kidrobot.
- Early days of vinyl toy design and realizing that he had stumbled onto something really huge.
- Pushing the template, breaking the mold and fucking with people.
- What it really feels like and means to have your work in the MOMA, working with Marc Jacobs and creating work for Christie's Auction House.
- The rise and fall of the collector toy market.
- How hard you have to work to make it happen.
- The art of collect ability and how to perfectly ride that line.
- Huck's last year of reinvention as he takes the reigns of his career and creates his own toy line.
- The huge investment and gamble in this do or die moment in his career.
- There are no rules to working for yourself.
- Learning from the missteps along the way.
In The Circle Of Trust (Paid Subscriber Content)
- The truth on leaving Kidrobot.
- Getting into intellectual property design.
- Tips on how to get into making your own toys.