Mark and Billy are here to chew bubblegum and talk shop, and they're all out of bubblegum. This week's Shop Talk revolves around the issues facing creatives at all different levels in their career path. There are rough seas ahead for the next generation of designers and these types of episodes help the up and comers see the game for what it is and sort out how they can fit into a shifting landscape. On the other side of the coin Mark and Billy offer insights into the never ending grind and the depression that walks hand in hand with the milestones in your career. Yes... there are some classic pitfalls lurking just beyond your sight awaiting you. Yes... there might be some gigs you won't be proud of. And yes... the new Spiderman Homecoming poster is an affront to the very word design. But, in the face of all this, we call on you to rise above these challenges and follow your dreams because that is exactly what a real adventure into design is all about. Antics ensue.
- Expanding your skill set on your own time and constructing the documentary that starts Start Today.
- Cartwheels for celebrities and the universal draw to hear our heroes.
- Uncovering the depression that arises at your career milestones and the "now what" that's waiting for you.
- Delicious makes a pitch to do work you'll never ever see and digging the ditch both literally and metaphorically.
- Getting good design past the ultimate gatekeepers and a public outcry for the return of illustrative posters.
- James Flames on the verge of something special with his new rendering style and putting in those ten thousand hours.
- Never give up on life.
- A fully registered installment of The Double kicks off this weekend.
- Working around Islamaphobia, building patriotism, and the point of pageantry.
- Does the grind catch up to everyone when you work yourself to death?
- A design degree finally gets recognized... as something that doesn't help out your resume.
- Rough seas and defining the new landscape for artists.
Want to hear about some real life deals getting thrown around in the design world these days? Brickey Leaks takes you into the truth behind the current state of being a creative professional.
Need a pick me up after all this? Skinner has risen above a lot of the issues surrounding creativity by following his passion to the opportunities still alive and well for anyone brave enough to be themselves. You are the wizard in the tower!
Ok. You've heard some ups and downs about the day in day out of creativity but this workshop is the gut check you'll need to help determine if you have what it takes to survive it all. If you still want to make a run at it all... start here.