Inside Out released a small, four song EP called No Spiritual Surrender in March of 1990 that went on to quite possibly be the most popular release ever on Revelation Records. Despite disbanding one year after its release, their intense live performances and socially conscious lyrics left a lasting impact on the scene that still ripples outward today. This episode of Start Today opens with the in depth history surrounding Inside Out, the bands working alongside them, and how they came to leave such a lasting impression on the scene in such a short time. Burning Fight was the opening track off their monumental 7" where Zach wanted to remind us that the real struggle was to come down from the soap box and open our arms to anyone who would listen to the positive message we believe in. Mark Brickey and Biggie of Good Fight Entertainment go over each lyric of Burning Fight, share what it has come to mean to each of them, and how this poignant message continues to guide them to this day. Reach out your hand and get ready for the third installment of Start Today.
- Youth Of Today calls it quits and hardcore begins to turn inward.
- Familiar faces, new sounds, and the arrival of rivals.
- Understanding 1990 from the 70’s.
- Crafting a unique sound that took its time to explode.
- Burning Fight becomes the slower paced anthem for the shape of hardcore to come.
- What comes after Inside Out?
- The revolution that came along with Rage Against The Machine.
- Channeling your anger to take on the rest of the world.
- Coming back to the center where everything started.
- Overcoming expectations to fulfill your dream.
- Music as the background to a community, cutting through all the red tape, and understanding the "it" factor.
- Comedown space, crowd control, and the ninety minutes bands fight for.
- The changing of the guard in hardcore.
- Expanding universes, shrinking circles, and finding your tribe.
- Are you ready for the music that will change your life?
Circle Of Trust Talking Points
- Straight edge after thirty, violent misconceptions, and in-scene squabbles.
- Not fitting in today, cutting the fat off the bone, and the engaging art of compromise.
- Managing others expectations and managing your own.
- The social structure in the scene changes as new discovery points open the doors to everyone.
- Walking away when it’s time, the wormhole to heavy, and using the platform while you have it.
- What is your burning fight now?
- Spiritual surrender.
TEAM NO SPIRITUAL SURRENDER
The very first Start Today focuses in on the band that this entire podcast took its title from, Gorilla Biscuits. Dive into the history of New York Hardcore and one of the most influential bands to come out of that scene that still sell out shows to this very day.
Corbett Redford spent the last four years of his life crafting the interweaving story of East Bay Punk with his documentary, Turn It Around. Learn about the people who made a community that thrived on letting (almost) everyone through the door.
Start Today turned its focus on a band whose impact is still immeasurable because it continues to morph and change with each new generation. Minor Threat changed forever changed the world of independent music and AID 588 captures that moment in time.